Monday, April 27, 2015

Chomp



There is a video of a guy being bitten by an alligator during a reptile show flying around the Internet and making the news circuit.
 I was at the show and saw the whole thing happen.
 It was kind of strange. 
 My best friend and I were sitting near the action watching two guys show off poisonous snakes and informing the crowd of the dangers of wild animals. Mostly, Guy #1 would talk about the animals and  the audience what to look for on snakes and how to recognize the  poisonous ones from the non-poisonous. When he had finished his lesson, Guy #2 would bring over a plastic box and pull out a living example of the reptiles. Both men used long clamp like devices to hold the snakes still while showing the crowd. The animals were out of the boxes for about 10 seconds. It was a safe display of the dangerous animals. 
 They guys also showed off baby alligators, they were cute. Their mouths were taped shut and face it, with the mouth taped up, an alligator is just a big lizard. 
 I’ve seen baby alligators before, heck I’ve held baby alligators, so I was a tiny bit board with that part of the show.
 So I started chatting with the people around me. 
 A semi drunk dude beside me pointed out a large alligator on the ground about 10 feet away from us. The man told me the alligator was not happy. I mentally put my self in the alligators shoes and thought well I wouldn't be happy with my mouth tied shut and either. 
 I asked drunk dude how he knew the alligator was upset.
 He replied “it’s too still."
 What?
  I ask him if he was an alligator whisperer or something and why he thought the beast's body language meant it was upset. 
. He told me he had been hunting in Louisiana several times for the animals and that the animal’s tail was curved and it’s arm were in a position of agitation, like it was ready to spring on prey. 
  He also told me how large an alligator it took to make boots (8 feet long) and that gator tasted good. (I’ve tried it, too chewy for me.) 
   Dude had a thick English/Scottish/Irish/ or something accent, and I couldn't decipher some of his statements so I just nodded and turned back to the show. 
 I had to step away from the show for a few minutes so i missed the reptile guys bringing the alligator out. 
 When I did return. Guy #2 was messing with the business end of the alligator. I thought Guy #2  was about to loose a hand (or at least some fingers) by swatting the beast on it's un-taped nose. So my attention was captured. (Come on, who isn't going to watch some idiot possibly loose a finger or two.)
 While Guy # 2 was tempting the alligator with finger snacks, Guy #1 began walking up behind the animal. 
 In a flash Guy #1 had an alligator hanging off his elbow then he was on the ground. 
 It was weird. 
 I heard a clap and then realized the alligator had bitten Guy #1. 
 The bite didn’t impress me. The fact the alligator pulled a full grown man from a standing position to the ground in under a second did. 
 There was a gasp and some screams when the gator got Guy #1, but I was frozen watching the scene play out.
 Guy #1 was released from the beast’s jaws and walked off for a second leaving Guy #2 to stare down the gator and continue to whop the thing on the nose. Guy #2 would tap the top of the animals nose then reach under it’s jaw and close the mouth. ( Apparently the gator didn't have a problem with Guy #2 and didn't try to chomp again.)
 Finally Guy #1 came back to the animal and both men were able to close the gaping mouth of the giant and tape it shut rendering it harmless.
 Guy #1 then was led away by a nurse in biker garb to tend his wounds. 
 This left Guy #2 to deal with getting the beast out of the area.  
 It took three men to lift the animal onto the bed of a golf cart like vehicle. Only two of the men looked like they knew what they were doing. The third guy looked like he was a bit drunk and just wanted to pick up an alligator.   
 Whoosh, the cart wheeled the gator away and things began to calm down.
 My friend and I hung out for a half hour longer a band began to play and people began to dance like nothing had happened.
 I glanced at the place the gator had bit Guy #1. 
 There was a puddle of blood on the dance floor.  
 I knew the event would end up online, I didn’t expect it to go national. 
 I just wish I had been smart enough to have recorded the event. 
 So next time I see a couple of guys tempting an alligator or some other large meat eating animal I’ll whip out my phone and hit record. Because who doesn’t want to see an idiot tempting fate, get a bite of reality.   

To see the video click this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnTFvKt_7lI


No comments:

Post a Comment